SEO increases the probability of the page being is show-cased as one of the top results whenever a user searches for the same information using any of the search engines. 90% of the time it is Google.
It works on the principle of improvising the organic or unpaid results of a particular query by excluding direct traffic and display of paid promotion. It is the wand-waving you can weave to make a search engine post your site as one of the top results on Page 1 of whenever someone explores that particular keyword. Therefore, it serves as a versatile tool for marketing products in this digital era, where everything is one click away.
On-Site SEO is a component of SEO that focuses on optimizing the various elements that make up a blog. It may be used to refer to any sort of customization that you can perform on these elements to help improvise your website rankings in the search results.
So, On-Page SEO results in greater search rankings, higher conversions, and higher traffic. Now, you can’t expect to obtain results the minute after you have almost finished utilizing this versatile tool. The results take time, but once you have finished constructing your folklore, it will make your online ranking, as well as the sales, rise high.
So I hope after reading this guide on On-Site SEO tips and tricks, you will have abundant knowledge to improve your blog.
Below is a simple flowchart that demonstrates how SEO works :
Lets begun with On-page SEO Process
Now, how can you implement this tool to achieve the desired result? Well, you need to understand that various factors need to be paid attention to. These factors primarily govern the ranking algorithm of a search engine to a particular result of a search query :
- Page Loading Speed
- Title tag and meta description
- Heading tags, Alt Tags
- Internal Linking
- Analytics of site navigation
These, by far are the major factors which if rightly optimized can have a major impact on the credibility of your blog.
This is by large the major area where you have to focus on. The content of the article is certainly something that will make it credible to earn a place in the result. It is the data the user searches for when typing a particular search keyword and is directed to your blog. The article you put up can either make or break whatever desired results you had in mind while setting up your page. Thus, it should be able to cater to whatever demands the audience had in mind. It should be linkable as well, that is being reproduced in some form or be shared, these two properties are what search engines look for while ranking. These are certain tricks that you can imply:
- Highlight Titles, the title tag shouldn’t be very long either(approximately 600 pixels).
- Highlight and use keywords in headings and paragraphs
- Use short structured sentences, they are easy to catch and retain an impression.
- Use simple words that are easy to catch and understand, you want your visitor to understand or buy the services displayed.
- Research every keyword that you put up, this will help you find new ideas and understand basic human psychology in what people are interested in, i.e. the search intent.
- Keep the focus keyword in mind, try to use it as much as possible in headings, subheadings, and references. However, don’t push it and use it wisely.
- Always use correct spelling and grammar, it helps in delivering a positive impression about the credibility and functionality. There are tools such as Grammarly by which you can check whether your content has any error.
- A pictorial reference to information you are conveying is helpful as well. Proper images with highlighted keywords appear attractive.
- Above all the information provided should be legitimate, trustworthy, and authentic. No one likes to view a copy and pasted material again and again.
- Always update the nature of your content of the documents, as search engines can identify and display the time of the last update. Add new blog posts and landing pages.
- Never duplicate content, if any remove it.
- Suppose one or more document on your site has a similar content displayed, using the same data in terms of readable information or images, the search engines, and onlookers both might be in a dilemma as in which page to rank and whether to proceed further or not, respectively.
- Well, you should understand that today when everything is just a click away, no one will have the time for going through lengthy pieces of content. Make it sensible and ensure that your it doesn’t, exceed the average word count. Instead of the length, focus on serving the quality.
- Besides, your writing should be legible. Do not use too fancy fonts or odd font sizes. It should clean and structured.
- Ensure that it is meaningfully structured to make the website easily navigable.
- The ultimate goal while writing content is to be writing for the audience, the living element rather than only focusing on the likeability of a search engine.
Page Loading Speed
This is the typical time duration your article takes to load on a screen. With greater advancement, comes in lesser attention span. Hence, visitors will close your blog if it takes more than 3 seconds to open up. Therefore, it has become an important ranking factor. You Can Use some WordPress plugins to Increase your Site Speed.
Here are certain ways you can implement:
- Compress images attached to your document, oversized multimedia content slows down speed.
- Remove unnecessary plug-ins and code.
- Use browser caching and cookies, this will help repeat visitors on your document to load the document faster.
- Google offers a tool for you to test your document speed, called document Page Speed Insights which other than providing you with a speed score also provides certain tips on how to improvise document speed.
- Also for smart-phone users, mobile-first indexing is the solution to improvise smart-phone browsing experience.
- At last but not the least, choosing a proper hosting is critical and essential for you to ensure excellent document speed. Hence, always go for a reliable provider.
- Remember to maintain the speed as ‘’excellent’’.
URL gives a visual interpretation of the hierarchy of data that is displayed. Information is utilized by search engines to determine the credibility of the page in results.
Certain guidelines for using URLs on a page to be kept in mind:
- Your Keyword Should be in URL
- Use short, meaningful, and simple URLs, if people get confused while reading an URL, so do search engines.
- Use separators such as dashes and hyphens, as search engines do not recognize underscores.
- Always put up the best of your content in the primary root folder.
- URLs are case sensitive, do not unnecessarily put the audience and search engines in a bias.
- Try to block bad URLs by directing search engines to ignore dynamic ones.
Title Tag & Meta Description
Ideally, you use the focus keyword in the title tag, the same thing applies while you edit your metadata, search engines today might replace the metadata you provide with other relevant content from your page that the user is seeking. Thus, both these elements influence the click-through rate of your page and correspondingly the rankings. The H1 tag is different from the title tags. The keywords must be in the H1 element as well just as the title, putting your keywords in front of the tagged text is recommended. If you need to separate between them, then download an SEO plug-in that allows you to write custom pages.
Internal Linking helps users to make the whole process user friendly keeping the reader engaged, by increasing user interaction and offering relevant information and resources. Anchor text is an important part of internal links as it conveys data regarding the content of a linked page. The topic cluster model is helpful while creating blogs as it helps to group relevant posts and throws light on the most significant ones. This model includes:
- Pillar content - comprising of a long paragraph that covers the primary topic.
- Cluster content – covering supportive blog posts about the sub-topic.
Internal links are helpful as long as they convey meaningful information. Use as many internal links needed, provided, they are relevant to the report in the write-up.
Site structure & Site map
The way blueprints help in construction planning, so do you have to plan your site structure before you set up your blog. This requires critical planning as it becomes difficult to edit after the website is designed. It serves two important hosts: Crawler Bots & the user.
Sitemaps – The name serves the use. If your site has multiple pages with linked data, you can put in a sitemap which is a simple .xml file along with the URLs of each page, it helps crawlers to find every page that you want to be indexed in a single place. However, it does not contribute to your ranking in search engines as they crawl to index the content.
However, do not build a very deep site architecture, this will end in slower discoverability as crawler bots will take more time to access the root folders.
There is a golden rule when it comes to design, it is the three-click rule according to which, data linked to a particular search must be within three mouse clicks from your home page. Keep this in mind because this helps visitors to save time and effort.
This can be achieved by using two types of links :
- Structural Links – which depend on the hierarchy of the -pages
- Contextual Links – which do not depend on the hierarchy of the -pages
In this age, where internet surfing is not just limited to personal computers, smart-phones and tablets comprise more than 50% of the internet traffic. Mobile-friendliness refers to the usability of a particular site on mobile devices as such that the page designed is easy to access and explore even on mobiles having a different hardware and software architecture as compared to personal computers or workstations. This is necessary because Google uses it as one of the ranking factors while displaying the results on the browsers. Having weak mobile responsiveness would result in a lower ranking. This can be also checked by using Google’s Mobile-Friendly Test Tool.
Lately, in 2014, Google had announced HTTPS to be a lightweight ranking signal. Hence, having a secure site i.e. one with an SSL certificate will help you fetch higher ranking in search results in comparison to those sites which do not. Let’s Encrypt is one such tool that offers a free SSL certification that is otherwise offered by all major hosting servers. Search engines and the antivirus software on a user’s system may recognize these sites untrustworthy. Other than that, an unsecured page or site may result in lower Click- through rates, bounce rates, overall sales, and ultimately the relevance. This also helps other trustworthy sites to link to your site.
Analytics of website navigation
Once you have completed setting up by optimization, analyze the changes that you made for improving the rank.
- This can be achieved by using certain analytics software such as Google Analytics, Google Search Console, etc.
- There are other provisional tools like Crazy Egg, allowing you to check what the visitors are clicking and how they move away from your site, i.e., the bounce rate. Although it can vary from site to site, it depends on the type of information you provide and the user seeks. A heatmap tool can be utilized to check the behavior of users and their interaction.
- The average time spent by a user could be studied in addition to the average pages per session with relevant internal linking.
- Tracking your keyword ratings – This is an excellent measure by which you can monitor the usage of the most related keywords. It could be done by using a tool SERPWatcher that displays keywords related to the report on the blog, location-wise statistics, and insights of the overall progress, top rankers, etc. in addition to sending alerts and finding out drops in rankings.
- Traffic Analysis- The main goal is to get more organic, non-directed traffic.
- To check the best-performing pages on your site: go to Behavior > Site Content> Landing Pages and then select the Organic traffic segment.
The Final Thought
An ideally optimized page is uniquely valuable in providing authentic content with an undeniable purpose beyond self-promotion, quality beyond crowd margin, having remarkable multimedia or pictorial attachment, described by at least 80% visitors as helpful, useful, and unique with lower bounce rate.
The site should provide phenomenal UX – content and navigation made easy, designed well, makes pages user friendly, renders fast, and is responsive. The content is keyword targeted and focuses on search intent with logical & comprehensive content with highlights as and when required. Built to be shared through social networking – URL is descriptive and sharing options are optimum and employs tags. The site/page is Multi-Device Ready – accessible across various platforms and browsers and renders smooth on all devices with employing the same URL and Crawler Bot Accessible – Static URL content, unique, follow the three-click rule and returns code 503 if the page is temporarily unavailable, Meta bot accessible, host server does not restrict search crawler IPs and key page elements are character length limited.
URL is included in the site’s XML Sitemaps in addition to having proper protocols on Authorship, Meta Data, Schema & Rich snippets. Keeping all this in mind, you can devise an excellent webpage. These On-Page SEO tips and tricks are the best of the knowledge one can provide in concise detail.